Monday, October 17, 2011

Leadership = Service

Strategic...connectedness...belief...empathy...individualization.


According to Tom Rath's StrengthsFinder 2.0, you need to focus on your strengths rather than your weaknesses as you learn how to be a successful leader.  If you have ever wanted to know what your strengths are, I would recommend that you get this book and take the online quiz.  It's really fascinating to read the "strengths insight guide" that is personalized to your top five strengths.  While I wasn't shocked by any of my top five, I was surprised by some of the positive implications of some of my strengths.  I took some time to create a "professional creed" of sorts, based on these strengths...
"I will embrace my strategic nature, continue to engage in organizations and activities that keep me connected to people, hold tight to the belief system that grounds me, continue to love people through empathy, and find strategies for interacting with individuals, as wonderful and unique and valuable and different as they all are."
       As I look toward a possible future as a professional leader, I also consider the impact this creed or philosophy has in my day-to-day interactions with people, even outside the realm of education.  I think maybe my core beliefs come out in my leadership style, because my faith is such an integral part of my life.  Valuing individuals and loving them with compassion and empathy are just "what you do" when you follow Christ, because that's the model He gave us to follow.  
       I never thought I'd have any spiritual insights when reading this secular book about leadership, but as I read more about leaders and study what godly men and women have to say about leading people, I'm beginning to realize that biblical principles of godliness are the best example of strong leadership.  Leading by relationship, not simply a position of authority.  Leading by connecting with people, not by commanding blind obedience.  Leading by serving, not by demanding service.  
        Matthew 20:26-28 tells us Jesus' philosophy of leadership- "But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
        Leadership is service.  The best books on leadership say so.  But even more importantly, God's Word tells us so.  I look forward to continuing to learn more about how to lead God's way!


No comments:

Post a Comment